2nd Annual Bacon Press Books
Summer Reading Festival
I'll admit it. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to loading up on mindless escape reading when I'm at the beach. And yet. There are times when I also want something a little more substantial, though not quite War and Peace or Ulysses. But, according to an article in The Washington Post "Diving into the sexist, er, sexy beach read" by Sophie McManus (Aug.6, 2016) the beach is crowded with women reading mostly "juicy" books. (I'd gladly provide the link but can't seem to find it.)
Given all the outrageous overstatements we're bombarded with these days, this one's pretty mild. I know I've seen guys on vacation reading books.
Which is why we're having our Second Annual Summer Reading Festival - featuring great beach books. All are priced at $1.99 - $2.99 through the end of August.
Short story collections are great vacation reading. We have three on sale.
- You Won't Remember This by Kate Blackwell
- The Man Who Built Boxes and other stories by Frank Tavares
- Blues for Beginners: Stories and Obsessions by Judith Podell
- And there's a novella, Man from the Sky by Danny Wynn with a bonus short story included
Just as fascinating and great for traveling is a good collection of personal essays, like
- Letting Go: An Anthology of Attempts edited by M.E. Hughes
Looking for a page-turning psychological thriller? Try
- Identity Thief by JP Bloch
Or a diving adventure story?
- The Clear Blue Line by Al Sprague
Or a mystery at sea?
- Landfall by Joseph Jablonski
There are still plenty of lazy summer afternoons left to escape into some very good books.